When you want to go a few shades darker what do you do? Search Pinterest for the ultimate reference then book into the colourist at the hairdressers asap?
You head out for your morning venti espresso then nip home and let your hair marinade in it - seriously.
This ingenious hack was discovered by brave beauty enthusiasts over in the US, who found that mixing up a formula of brewed Dunkin' Donuts Dark Roast Ground Coffee with conditioner made the ultimate, au naturel hair dye. Of course, we don’t have Dunkin Donuts prods here in Australia but any similar dark roast ground coffee should do the trick (opt for the organic kind so you’re not putting a bunch of unknown chemicals on your hair).
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Brew two cups of coffee and let them go cold.
2. Mix 2 cups of conditioner with 4 tablespoons of the ground coffee until it completely dissolves and turns into a paste.
3. Wash your hair with regular shampoo then towel dry.
4. Soak your hair in the cold coffee mixture. If it’s too hard to soak, just wetting it will work but make sure to get all of it.
5. Add in the coffee paste, massaging it through from root to tip. Do this until you’ve done all your hair.
6. Pop on a shower cap and leave it to process for an hour.
7. Rinse out the mixture then shampoo and condition your hair to get the last of the coffee residue out.
Doneskies! Healthy, chocolatey coloured hair for less than $20.
Not bad, not bad at all. Disclaimer: just don’t expect to get totally even, salon-coloured results but then for less than a twenty who really cares, right?