Subscribe and save
Subscribe to Cosmopolitan and get three issues for just $6!Order now >
How to be the perfect plus one… at a party
Your new date has asked you to a New Year's Eve party. Scary? Sure, but if you work it right, not only can it be fun, it can also leave a great impression on a guy.
- Don't follow your date around all night. If he's a polite fella, he will introduce you to a few people, but don't expect him to hold your hand and never let go. These are his friends and by him bringing you to a party it means he's excited for you to meet them, and also for them to meet you; so get mingling.
- Avoid drinking in excess, there's nothing worse than being the passed out girl nobody (including your date) wants to take credit for.
- Sitting on your phone, on Facebook or Instagram all night might feel like the most comfortable thing to do, but avoid it at all costs. Even if you're stuck for a few minutes staring blankly at photos of people who don't know, you will still come across friendly and happy to be there, not bored and anti-social.
How to be the perfect plus one… at dinner
Your guy has invited you around to dinner, only to announce a few hours beforehand that his parents will be dropping around too. Never fear, we know how to make sure you ace the very first dinner with Mum and Dad:
- Do as much research as you can. Even a quick "What does your Mum do again" or "where did your Dad grow up", will come in handy if the conversation starts to lag. Plus, your boy will get bonus points when they think their son's been talking about them.
- Mind your manners. Depending on their family, know what to call his parents and what they consider good table manners. What your guy thinks is acceptable when it's Friday-pizza-night, and what they are expecting from their potential daughter-in-law could be extremely different.
- Be prepared to talk, a lot. This is the first time meeting a girl they've (hopefully) heard quite a bit about. They're going to ask about work, where you live and all the other getting-to-know-you questions, so be prepared to get chatting.
How to be the perfect plus one… at a summer wedding
So, the guy you're dating has invited you to his mate's/cousin's/colleague's summer wedding, which is great, aside from the fact that you'll know nobody. Follow these steps to avoiding any tense moments:
- Even if you haven't met the bride or groom, get clued up about them and their relationship. Were they high school sweethearts, did they meet at work or why did they choose this location/date/theme? Although they don't know you, it's their big day, so take the time beforehand to know who you're celebrating.
- Understand that while your date should do his best to keep you entertained, he's not going to be able to babysit you all night. There will be people he needs to catch up with, toilet breaks and potentially a length conversation with a long-lost relative. Pack your best friendliest smile and get ready for some serious small talk.
- When choosing your outfit for the big day, don't try and make a statement. Of course, you want to impress the lovely lad whose arm you're on, but the last thing you want is the sister of the bride asking who "the girl in the bright yellow" is.
How to avoid morning after shopping regret.
Here's three videos that will defo get you there...
How to get our male hair crush's awesome ombre locks.
Artist Rose Ashton @rosegirl creating us a personalised artwork for today's fashion shoot with @nicoleadolphe stay tuned
Subscribe or renew to Cosmopolitan magazine and receive your first 3 issues for just $6! Offer ends May 5. Visit magshop.com.au/cos
Happy Easter!! Pic from our #easter story featuring bunny Chino! #cosmoaustralia #lifestylist
@cosmobride #realweddingannual #onsale #NOW! #cosmobride #wedding #love
A big thanks to @picturepostie @sweatybettypr for the fashion week memories! It was a blur so it's nice to have a permanent keepsake
SO. MUCH. CHOCOLATE. All of the thanks to the delicious @maxbrenner_chocolate_bar and @magnumpr_. Easter weekend starts right now. X
Fash director @nicoleadolphe at the new @fshnbnkr store #adelaide with designers @keepsakethelabel @cameo_the_label @finderskeepersthelabel @thefifthlabel
Spoilt for choice with the arrival of the new @sallyhansenau Triple Shine collection! For more beauty updates follow @cosmobeautyau
HOORAY!! The @cosmobride special Real Weddings Annual is onsale NOW!!! Press play to see the cover revealed! #COSMOBRIDE #realweddingannual #lotsofweddings #andlove #flowers #weddingmagazine #fun #diy #advice #awesomeness
Actually, it's only one more night 'til the special new Real Wedding Annual issue of @cosmobride hits stands!! #COSMOBRIDE #soexcited #realweddingannual #somuchlove #bride #bigday #weddingmagazine
And that’s that – all done! We told you it’d only take a minute. Now, go. Enjoy!
Make it pretty, add a profile picture...
It looks like you are already a member of one of our other great sites (Womens Fitness, Australian Beauty Awards, Mother & Baby Awards, Cleo, Australian Beauty Awards 2012, TechLife, Cougar Portal, Cleo NZ, Empire, Shop Til You Drop, 30 Days of Fashion and Beauty 2012, Health and Wellbeing Weekend, Elle, Home, Food and Wine). You can log in to Cosmo with your existing account – just type in your email and password. Forgotten your password? No worries, we can send it to you.
Get the latest news straight to your inbox by signing up to our newsletter!