1. Ghostbusters. It was about time someone sent in four strong and funny af women to save the day. Enter Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon in (we’re calling it) one of the funniest and kick-ass female movies of the year. Oh, and props to Chris Hemsworth who totally ~werks it~ as the sexy secretary. Dang.
2. Jennifer Aniston’s empowering open letter. "We are complete with or without a mate, with or without a child. We get to decide for ourselves what is beautiful when it comes to our bodies. That decision is ours and ours alone… We get to determine our own ‘happily ever after’ for ourselves.” Yeah, we do.
3. Fergie’s “mums can have fun too, y’all” M.I.L.F. $ video. She got other smokin’ hot mamas like Kim Kardashian, Chrissy Teigen and Alessandra Ambrosio on board to show that, in between balancing a career and looking after the fam, women can still be “flirty and fun and a little naughty sometimes – there's nothing wrong with that.” TYVM.
4. Beyonce’s Lemonade. Queen Bey’s epic album did more than just scare the sh*t out of anyone who’s given her side eye. It made her the first female artist with 12 or more songs on theBillboardcharts at the same time. Proof that revenge is a dish best served fierce af.
5. Amy Schumer’s troll takedown. After being bodyshamed in a swimsuit, Amy told her online trolls: “I hope you find some joy in your lives today in a human interaction and not just in writing unkind things to a stranger you've never met who triggers something in you that makes you feel powerless and alone. This is how I look. I feel happy. I think I look strong and healthy and also like Miss Trunchbull from Matilda. Kisses!” Oh snaaaap.
6. Ariana Grande putting the feminist into BFF. She losther shiz defending her mate (and insta kween) Selena Gomez from being described as cough just someone’s ex. “I’ll never be able to swallow the fact that people feel the need to attach a successful woman to a man when they say her name… This person has had so many great records in the last year and she hasn’t been dating him forever. Call her by her name!” Damn straight.
7. Mila Kunis without makeup. In a world of Kylie Jenner Lip Kits that gives us LIFE, it can be easy to forget that it’s possible to look just as ~flawless~ when you go makeup-free. Something Mila’s Glamour shoot and her chill approach to beauty reminded us of. “I don't wear makeup. I don't wash my hair every day.” #beautygoals.
8. Jennifer Lawrence’s #friendgoals. Forget Kim and Taylor, some A-list friends give us ALL of the feels. Like JLaw, who said this about her bestie, Adele: “Her patience and kindness all wrapped up in the tough skin of a damn gangster… Adele is a gift, an international treasure, but she's also sweet, funny, intelligent and beautiful. B*tch.” Can’t. Even. Deal.
Brought to you by Avon, proud sponsor of Cosmopolitan’s Women of the Year awards