BREAKING NEWS: 22 confirmed dead in suspected terror attack at Ariana Grande concert

Children are among the fatalities.


  • There have been 22 fatalities after an ‘explosion’ at the end of an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester Arena. Children are among the dead.
  • The number of people injured has been updated to 59, with many treated for their injuries at the scene, and others taken to hospital.
  • The incident, which took place around 10:30 p.m. local time is being treated as a terrorist attack.
  • It is believed the bombs were timed to go off at the end of the concert.
  • Police believe the suicide bomber was working alone. He was armed with an improvised explosive device (IED), and died at the scene.
  • Reports say a ‘nail bomb’ went off in or around the foyer area of the arena, which injured many people, who are being treated in hospital for ‘shrapnel-like wounds.’
  • A man has reportedly been arrested after police pulled him out of a vehicle within the area.
  • The transportation lines around the arena have been shut down, and will remain closed for all of Tuesday.
  • Footage and witness accounts from the area have described it as a ‘war zone.’
  • The Greater Manchester Police conducted a controlled explosion in the Cathedral gardens after finding a suspicious item, but have confirmed it was abandoned clothing.
  • People who had loved ones at the concert have been tweeting out details if they haven’t been able to get in touch with them.
  • A rep from Ariana’s U.S. label has confirmed the singer is OK. She is said to be “in hysterics” and “inconsolable” after learning about the attack.
  • Ariana broke her silence about the attack on Twitter, and will reportedly cancel the rest of her European tour.

UPDATE 4:10PM: Greater Manchester Police have given another update about the attack on Manchester Arena at the end of Ariana Grande’s concert in Monday night. They confirmed the death toll has risen from 19 to 22, and that children are among the fatalities.

They believe one man was behind the attack, armed with an improvised explosive device (IED), and that he died at the scene.

UPDATE 12:52PM: Ariana Grande has spoken out on her social media accounts for the first time since the explosion at the end of her concert at Manchester Arena.

On Twitter, the singer wrote:

from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.”

TMZ also reports she has “indefinitely suspended her world tour.” Her manager, Scooter Braun, said, “We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers.”

UPDATE 12:47PM: TV reports say Ariana Grande has been taken to hospital. No further information has been released. She wasn’t physically hurt from the explosion but is reportedly “in hysterics” and “in no condition to perform.” Her next concert, scheduled for Thursday in London, is likely to be cancelled.

UPDATE 12:02PM: A rep for the Greater Manchester Police, Chief Constable Ian Hopkins, issued a statement regarding the explosion that took place at the conclusion of Ariana Grande's concert at Manchester Arena at 3 a.m. local time.

UPDATE 11:27AM: According to CNN, a male at the scene in Manchester has been identified as the probable suicide bomber.

British Prime Minister Theresa May has also released a statement about the attack, calling it an "appalling terrorist attack":

"We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack. All our thoughts are with the victims and the families of those who have been affected."

Meanwhile, TV news programs have broadcast the images of children parents haven't been able to get in touch with following the concert.

Image: Channel Seven
Image: Channel Seven

UPDATE 11:12AM: Dashcam footage captured by Twitter user @kev667 purportedly captures the moment of the explosion.

UPDATE 10:14AM: Greater Manchester Police have confirmed 19 people are confirmed dead and over 50 injured in the what is now being treated as a terrorist incident.

Horrific new details about the explosion are emerging via social media. One video shows a group of people trying to help a woman whose legs had been nail bombed.

The BBC interviewed a dad who was waiting to collect his wife and daughter from the concert. He claims he was thrown “30 feet” by the explosion, and had to “look at some of the bodies, trying to find my family.” Luckily, both were unharmed.

Another eyewitness spoke to The Daily Mail UK on the terrifying moment she heard the blast, saying:

“As we were leaving a bomb or explosion went off centimetres in front of me. People's skin and faeces were everywhere including in my hair and on my bag. I'm still finding bits of God knows what in my hair. You never ever expect these things to happen to you but this proves it can happen to anybody. That sound, the blood and those who were running around clueless with body parts and bits of skin missing will not be leaving my mind any time soon or the minds of those involved."

Video has also emerged on social media at the time of the explosion with an announcer telling concertgoers to 'take their time' as they exit the arena.

UPDATE 10:05AM: Police have reportedly arrested a man after pulling him out of a vehicle within the area.

UPDATE 9:45AM: Greater Manchester Police are continuing to work on the scene of the incident and reiterated that everyone should avoid the area.

Meanwhile, fellow artists including Cher, Ellie Goulding and Katy Perry have tweeted their prayers and thoughts for victims of the Manchester Arena incident during Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman show following the news that several concertgoers were confirmed killed and several injured after 'explosions' rocked the arena.

Reps for the singer have told Billboard that Ariana and her team 'are okay'.

UPDATE 9:10AM: Greater Manchester Police have released a statement on the 'major incident' at Manchester Arena, confirming a number of fatalities and injuries after 'loud bangs' were heard during an Ariana Grande concert.

ORIGINAL: Emergency services have rushed to Manchester Arena where Ariana Grande was performing after reports that two loud ‘explosions’ rocked the stadium.

Fans have been evacuated following the scare, with some describing the noise as a ‘guns shot’, while others believe it could have possibly been a speaker exploding.

One attendee told The Independent:

“[Me] and my sister, along with a lot of others were seeing Ariana Grande perform at Manchester Arena, and we were all exiting the venue when around 10.40-10.45pm-ish, a huge bomb-like bang went off that hugely panicked everyone and we were all trying to flee the arena. It was one bang and essentially everyone from the other side of the arena where the bang was heard from suddenly came running towards us as they were trying to exit Trinity Way and that was blocked so everyone was just running to any exit they could find as quickly as they could," they said, adding, “Everyone was in a huge state of panic, calling each other as some had gone to the toilet whilst this had gone off, so it was just extremely disturbing for everyone there.”

Greater Manchester Police have tweeted to people to "stay away from the area", while concertgoers on Twitter have spoken out on the terrifying ordeal.

More details to come.