This is the way things usually go for Australian actors trying to make it in Hollywood: they start out on an ~iconic~ soap (hello, roles on Home and Away and Neighbours), become household names in Oz, and then leave Australia for the bright lights of America.
There are a handful of stars, though, who are more famous in the U.S. than in Australia. Maia Mitchell is one of these actors.
The 23-year-old Aussie, who comes from Lismore in NSW, had a few Australian TV roles before hitting the big time as Callie Jacob on The Fosters in the States. So while she may not be a household name here yet, American audiences definitely know her — and she’s got 3.7 million Instagram followers to prove it.
To get to know Maia a little better, here are 16 things you may not have known about her. Take it away, Maia!
1. My favourite food is sushi, even though I can’t eat it because I’m allergic to seafood.
2. When I was younger, I wanted to be a ballerina.
3. My favourite movie is The Terminator.
4. The thing that made me want to be an actor was Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz.
5. My favourite account to follow on Instagram is @sonny5ideup.
6. My coffee order is a tall double iced latte with coconut milk and extra ice.
7. The last show I binge-watched was O.J.: Made In America.
8. My favourite place in the world is Rio.
9. My favourite book is Cloudstreet by Tim Winton.
10. I’m secretly obsessed with conspiracy theories.
11. My most-used emoji is 🙄 (eye roll).
12. My must-have beauty product is Weleda Skin Food.
13. My favourite thing in my wardrobe is this stupid Taco Bell shirt.
14. My go-to karaoke song is “Genie in a Bottle” by Christina Aguilera.
15. My perfume is Chanel No.5.
16. When I was a kid I would burp the alphabet. It stopped being endearing after primary school, so it’s definitely a secret talent.