Health & Fitness

Girl, 16, dies from toxic shock syndrome related to tampon use

Sara Manitoski was found dead by her friends while on a school trip.

A teenage girl has died of toxic shock syndrome after using a tampon, a coroner has reportedly found.

Sara Manitoski, a 16-year-old from British Columbia, Canada, was on an overnight school trip near Vancouver Island in March, 2017 when she was found unconscious in her cabin by her friends and emergency staff were unable to revive her.

PHOTO: Facebook.
PHOTO: Facebook.

Now, more than a year after the schoolgirl's death a corner has reportedly confirmed the cause of death as toxic shock syndrome (TSS) related to her tampon use, reports CTV News.

According to reports, TSS strain of staphylococcus aureus was found on a tampon that was in her body, but it was also noted that she had other signs of TSS.

Sara's sister, Carli Manitoski wrote at Facebook post in December 2017 where she said Sara had "complained of stomach cramps before going to bed and she never woke up."

"My beautiful, incredibly healthy sister died because of [TSS] so please share, educate yourselves and be cautious whenever using tampons," she wrote. Adding, "There is such little education on this and it needs to be brought to light."

What is TSS and how can you prevent it?

According to the Victoria's Department of Health and Human Services, in Australia (TSS) is a rare but still a potentially life-threatening illness that is thought to be caused by infection with certain types of bacteria.

"Women who have their period (are menstruating) are most at risk of getting TSS, as it is thought to be associated with tampon use," states the government body's website.

They advise that for women to reduce the risk of TSS during menstruation women need to change tampons regularly and consider using pads instead of tampons overnight.