We all know that a bit of mouldy fruit probably won't do us much good. But what about all the other stuff in your house which doesn't come with a use by date? According to the Daily Mail, we need to pay wayyyy more attention to how long we're hoarding household items. Here's the lowdown.
2 / 0
1. Pillows: 6 months "It's easy to get used to sleeping on thin, lumpy, sub-standard pillows, but they can lead to neck and back pain — and, if not washed and cared for correctly, can fill with dirt, oil, dead skin and dust mites, which can exacerbate allergies such as asthma. A good pillow should support your head and neck and keep them aligned with your spine when you are lying down." Explains Neville Moore, Managing Director of Slumber Slumber.
3 / 0
2. Toothbrushes: 30 days Dr Amer Saeed, clinical director of London dental practice Garden Square Dental, explains why you should change your toothbrush each month: "A combination of wear and tear and poor brush maintenance can cause a huge build up of bacteria which can lead to contamination of the gums and possible infection."
4 / 0
3. Bras: 8 months (!!!) Yup, apparently that bra you've been treasuring since the 7th grade is NOT OK. According to bra manufacturer Gossard, even a top quality bra will start to become less supportive within 8 months.
5 / 0
4. Scourers: 7 days If you keep your sponges for too long, you'll be spreading more than detergent all over your dishes. Tests have found that there can be up to 10 million bacteria living in a square inch of your kitchen sponge, including one called campylobacter which comes from poultry and can lead to paralysis.
6 / 0
5. Cycle helmets: 3 years Children's helmets need to be replaced more frequently than this because of their growing heads, FYI.
7 / 0
6. Bleach: 7 months Once the bottle has been opened, you've only got 3 months before bleach starts to degrade and won't work as well.
8 / 0
7. Trainers: 6 months Trainers start to lose their flexibility after you've walked or run 800 kilometres in them. SOURCE: Cosmopolitan UK