Lifestyle

This model almost died from toxic shock syndrome

Lauren Wasser was ‘ten minutes from death’ and lost her leg in the ordeal.

This model almost died from toxic shock syndrome

This is a terrifying story…

Model Lauren Wasser, 24, almost died from toxic shock syndrome (TSS), the rare but life threatening bacterial infection that can be caused by the synthetic materials in tampons.

She was feeling ‘off’ then the next thing she knew she was in a hospital bed. Lauren recalled her experience to Vice: "My belly was huge. I had tubes everywhere. I couldn't speak. I thought maybe I overdosed on food. I had no clue what was happening. It's the most excruciating pain I've ever—I don't know how to describe it to you."

The infection got so bad that Lauren developed gangrene and sadly, lost her leg. But it could’ve been even worse considering she arrived at the hospital, with her organs shutting down.

Lauren is now campaigning for tampons to change the materials they use instead of slapping a "get out jail free" TSS warning label on the products.

Photo by Jennifer Rovero/ Camraface via Vice

While Lauren was in the hospital, her mother (pictured above) began a massive lawsuit involving tampon distributors. The complaint insists that all of the defendants are "negligently, wantonly, recklessly, tortuously, and unlawfully responsible in some manner" for Lauren's hospitalisation for TSS and they claim the warning was not clear enough.

We hope Lauren’s story raises awareness of TSS as a whole.