There comes a point in every 20-something’s life when you realise you’re not yet a fully-fledged adult (read: you’ve never kept a plant alive for more than a month), but you’re also too old to live at home and rely on your parents for financial support.
If you’re considering having a quarter-life crisis, this middle ground is the perfect time.
The good news is, there’s nothing wrong with having a quarter-life crisis. If anything, it’s normal. It happens to the best of us and, you might even wind up being grateful for your crisis. The British Psychological Society reported in 2011 that nearly 80 per cent of the young adults who experience a quarter-life crisis reflect on it as a positive experience.
Anyway! Enough with stats, numbers and research! Here as 13 signs you could be having a quarter-life crisis, as demonstrated in GIF form:
1. Your friend messages you about going out on a Saturday night, but that means leaving the house at 10pm and you’re like ‘byeeeee friend.’
2. When you don't know whether it's still OK for you to buy cheaper trend-based clothing, or if you should start investing in the classics… So you just buy all of it.
3. When you know you should be eating ~healthier ~ because your metabolism isn't what it used to be, but food is life(!) so you eat everything… and regret is later.
4. When you watch a YouTube tutorial on how to correctly fold a fitted sheet and wonder what the fuck your life has come to. (FYI: If you’re interested, here’s a great step-by-step on how to fold a fitted sheet.)
5. When half of your friends are buying houses and getting engaged and the other half are still eating two minute noodles the day before pay day.
6. When you get invited to your school's 10 year reunion and go into shock because didn't you just finish last year?
7. When you fork out for a brand new steam mop, but never use it because cleaning is the actual worst.
8. When you’re trying to be #woke and recycle everything, but you have to throw away your Tupperware because your leftovers went bad and now you’re afraid to open it.
9. When 50 per cent of you wants to go out and have a rager of a night, and the other half you wants to have a bath and drink herbal tea whilst looking at slow cooker recipes.
10. When you open your dishwasher only to discover a mouldy bowl, which makes you reassess everything that led up to this moment.
11. When you go out of your way to buy the hardiest plant money can buy… but then it dies three weeks later anyway.
12. You have enough money to buy nice clothes but you spill all of the food on them.
13. Speaking of… Your bedroom chair is piled sky high with all your food-stained clothes and god know when (or if) you’ll take them to the dry cleaner.