Aussie woman detained and jailed after U.S. officers thought she was trying to immigrate illegally

The immigration officers reportedly read her diary during her interrogations.

By Mahalia Chang
Molly Hill.

An Australian woman has spoken out after she was detained, stripped and jailed in the U.S., after being accused of attempting to immigrate illegally.

Molly Hill, a Melbourne native, was flying to Honolulu, Hawaii, this past Monday to visit her U.S.-based boyfriend. She intended to stay for 88 days, and had quit her job prior to flying, but had a tourist visa, as well as a return flight.

Although she expected to “pass through customs without too much hassle", the agents at the airports ended up detaining and interrogating her for more than six hours. During that time, the immigration officials read through her diary, where they were suspicious that her writing about her “last day at work” and her “going away drinks” meant that she was attempting to immigrate illegally.

"I was taken into an interview room and had every inch of my luggage searched. They understood that I have an American boyfriend and I spent about 6 hours in and out of the interrogation rooms. In the end they were convinced I wanted to immigrate illegally because my diary had notes like "going away drinks" and "last day at work", things I got in order before expecting to be away for 3 months," she wrote in the unbelievable Facebook post.

She then shares that she was told she would taken to a detention centre as there were no more flights back to Sydney that day, but ended up being transferred to a federal prison: “Picture [Orange is the New Black] but with locked cells… this was actual prison”. During her stay, Molly was also subjected to a “mortifying” squat-and-cough procedure.

After being released the next morning, Molly “was handcuffed again.”

“I remained in handcuffs and was escorted throughout the airport. Then I was finally allowed to call home, and had to pay $620 for a flight to Sydney. I stared at the walls for another 4 hours, then my possessions were finally returned and I was escorted by customs security into the airplane for my next 11 hour flight.”

“It's been a surreal few days that's taken a big chunk of money, heartache and tears,” she wrote of her experience, ending the post by cheekily asking any immigration lawyers to “hit her up”.

Read the whole mind-boggling thing below.